Monday, May 11, 2015

Dwell: Vermin and Ashes (2015)

I have to confess that I’m more inclined to check out bands from Denmark than bands from anywhere else. (LLTK, for those in the know.) Dwell is one such band who caught my attention for just that reason.

They’re billed as a death/doom band, but I think you’d find it difficult to pick up any death metal in this at all. The vocals might fit that mold, but the rest does not. The first song sounds like a less sophisticated Agalloch, from the slow progression of chords to the clean guitar interlude. It’s followed by a five minute ambient track, which is a hell of a downer way to kick off an album. Don’t worry. It gets better.


During the latter 2/3 of the record, Dwell are much more adept songwriters, ably shifting from doom to mid-paced black metal. “Vermin in My Arteries” is dramatic, with nice lead work. “Perditions Mire” also hints at some Bathory influence, while “Become the Void” is the superior of the two synth-oriented tracks on the album.

I would say to keep an eye on these guys in the future, but since the better half of the album is also their first demo, but the best song is new material, I’m not sure whether they’re improving or not. Ask me again when they come out with a new full-length.

The Verdict: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment