Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fear of Domination: Distorted Delusions (2014)

Really?

Review by Metallattorney. He is the law.

Seriously? There are still bands like this out there? Not to mention newish ones? Immediately when this album began I felt like it was 2000 all over again. I would have loved this early in college. Jaded, lawyer me is not nearly as impressed. That is to say, I found this barely listenable. I was even more annoyed with the band photos which portray a group looking like a cross between Mushroomhead and Hollywood Undead.

Musically this band sounds like a cross between Spineshank and mainstream-leaning In Flames. There is some melodic death metal present in there but the industrial tinges overwhelm them frequently to the point where the keyboards are about the only thing that can be heard. The music sounds incredibly juvenile, the kind of thing that 16-18 year olds would play loudly on their car stereos to freak out the neighbors. I know this, because I was once one of those kids. But now that my tastes have matured I find myself avoiding schlock like this.


The vocals are not impressive, pretty stereotypical melodeath shrieking. There are a lot of samples used and the riffs, when present, are as basic as could be. This is basically nu-metal, folks.

That's really all I want to say. I did not make it through the whole album.

THE VERDICT.
I give this 0 out of 5 stars.



FMA Note: As I post this, I'm downloading the new Powerman 5000 album. Apparently, they are still around after 2003, which is when I thought all this stuff died away. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I actually went with some friends and saw Powerman 5000 in concert about a month ago. They put on a shockingly good show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't doubt it. I saw them back in 2000 with System of a Down, Kid Rock, Korn, and Metallica, and it struck me that Spider was a professional showman. I'm wondering whether the new recorded output is worth anything, though. I would consider myself a former fan, having all their albums from 1997 to 2003, but they really dropped off my radar.

      Delete