Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Monster Magnet: Last Patrol (2013)

Let’s Hope It’s Not the Last

If you’re not familiar with Monster Magnet, you don’t know what you’re missing. That’s true of all things, of course, but it’s even more true with Monster Magnet.*

In preparation for writing this review of the band’s latest album, I went back to read my review of Mastermind, and I have to say I smiled at my own prescience. After noting the band seems to alternate between good and so-so records in three-year cycles, I concluded, “If they continue this pattern, they'll release another great album in 2016, but you might skip the one that comes out in 2013.” So far, I nailed it.


Again, to draw on that review, Monster Magnet has never released a bad album. If they aren’t the coolest band on the planet, they’re at least top 10, and their fans (I count myself in that number) will be happy with Last Patrol. The fun of “Hallelujah,” the MM-branded blues-rock of the title track, the desert rock of “Three Kingfishers,” and the classic Monster Magnetness of “End of Time” are far from disappointing.

But individual songs aren’t enough. Last Patrol just takes a long, long time to get off the ground, and drags about two-thirds of the way in. The Duke (of Supernature) is just not quite A number 1.

The Verdict: 3 out of 5 stars

*(It’s been close to a decade since I read Douglas Adams, but I still love that kind of humor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment