Thursday, April 08, 2010

Playlist: "You Not Me"

I've taken to listening to Genius playlists on my iPod while working out lately, over the speaker system when possible. Genius works by compiling loads of information about playlists people have created, and if two songs show up in the same playlist often enough then they are more likely to be put together by Genius. You create the list simply by picking a song, and the program creates the playlist for you. The playlist it made for me last night was really good, so I thought I'd share it.

I started with "You Not Me" by Dream Theater. They're a good band to start with because a lot of stuff goes with it, and it's usually not too extreme for the other people in the weight room. I only got as far as track 8 (someone was playing some hair metal for the first part of the time I was there), and anyway I thought Meshuggah might be a little too crazy for other people to handle.

1. Dream Theater - "You Not Me"
2. Symphony X - "The Walls of Babylon"
3. Opeth - "Beneath the Mire"
4. Rush - "Stick It Out"
5. Megadeth - "Lucretia"
6. Yngwie Malmsteen - "Black Star"
7. Iron Maiden - "Moonchild"
8. Nevermore - "This Godless Endeavor"
9. Meshuggah - "Combustion"
10. Iced Earth - "Burning Times"
11. Dream Theater - "This Dying Soul"
12. Opeth - "The Lotus Eater" *
13. Nightwish - "Dead Gardens"
14. Rush - "Secret Touch"
15. Symphony X - "Set the World On Fire (The Lie of Lies)"
16. Megadeth - "A Secret Place"
17. Yngwie Malmsteen - "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget"
18. Iron Maiden - "Caught Somewhere In Time"
19. Between the Buried and Me - "White Walls"
20. Dream Theater - "Burning My Soul"
21. Threshold - "Slipstream"
22. Opeth - "The Baying of the Hounds"
23. Cynic - "The Space for This"
24. Pantera - "Clash With Reality"
25. Megadeth - "Five Magics"

* It seems "The Lotus Eater" turns up on just about every Genius playlist I create. I wonder what will happen when I create a playlist from it?

I had forgotten how good Rush can be. One of my buddies from back in law school is from a previous generation, the one sandwiched between mine and my parents', and he is a huge fan of the group. He introduced me to them, and I thank him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment