Monday, April 12, 2010

Mudvayne: Mudvayne (2009) Review

Mudvayne's self-titled album came out back in December. I understand the album cover is really neat, with blacklight art. But that definitely wasn't enough to get me to jump right on this album as I usually do with Mudvayne. But after 2008's lackluster The New Game (to which I gave a very generous 3 star rating), I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to hear this one.



Supposedly, Mudvayne recorded this album at the same time as that one. If so, they must have saved the best material for their self-titled album.

While they haven't managed to capture that raw energy and innovative songwriting they had on their 2000 debut, they have almost managed to latch onto that progressive streak they had on 2002's The End of All Things To Come. In fact, "Heard It All Before" may be the most progressive song they've ever done. A few other strong tracks are here, such as "Burn the Bridge," "Closer," and "I Can't Wait."

The Verdict: The album is very much worthwhile for fans of the group, or anyone who likes nu metal, since this is probably the best album in that genre to come out since Slipknot's latest over a year earlier. I give it a conservative 3 out of 5 stars, but they still haven't restored my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment