Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Simon

I have a new renter! Check out Pile of Dog Bones. He has light text on a black background, but if you can get past that it's not a bad read. It's just your average personal blog where he posts quiz results and so forth, but he's kind of a thoughtful person.

Also, have a sober and demure Ash Wednesday. ("Happy Ash Wednesday" just sounds weird and completely wrong.)

Anyway, on to the point of the post. My wife is a huge American Idol fan. And of course that means that for the first time ever I am an American Idol watcher. And despite my utter hatred for pop music I like the fact that it lets me be a music critic. No, I don't vote.

I'm not going to get into my opinions on who I think is good/bad (mostly because you can make up your own damn mind about that) but I do have to say that Simon gets a bad rap. He seriously knows his shit and he's not afraid to tell the truth. Never, ever, will Paula's or Randy's back-patting help any of them. And Simon is never mean. He's just totally honest. It's not like he's "brutally" honest at all. Like he says, he does this for a living. Well, I'm sure he earns his paycheck.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, lord. Don't support "reality" TV! I'm fervently hoping that if enough people ignore it, it will finally disappear and be replaced by program that's actually interesting...bit I digress.

    I used to consider myself "brutally honest." Then again, I used to be an awful lot like Bitch, Esq., in my absolute and unreasonable bitchiness. Be happy you didn't know me in highschool...

    Knowing one's shit is not, I believe, a license to be a bastard, as much as people would like to believe it is. There's something to be said for honesty over nicety, but you know...you can be honest, illustrate your knowledge, and be a pleasant human being at the same time. Right?

    I'll go ahead and admit, though, that I don't watch American Idol because, as a general rule, I find that "reality" TV is bad for my soul. So obviously, take my bitching with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, I did not choose to watch reality TV. But I don't mind American Idol that much. Most of the singers suck (with maybe 5 exceptions) but Simon entertains me. He could stand to be a little nicer, but he's a lot more help to the people on the show than the other two are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the plug... and as a reward for such a nice one... I tagged ya...

    ReplyDelete